Tuesday 6 September 2011

To Blog or not to blog....?

I am confused already! As can be seen in the title of this post, I am unsure if 'Blog' is with a capital letter or not. I am currently opting for not, because in the context of my title - stolen from some chap who wrote plays - it is a verb. As far as I am aware, verbs aren't allowed capital letters unless they start sentences. Capital letters are reserved for the elite and very self-important proper nouns. English buffs feel free to assist me...

I may be chasing rabbits again....Not literally - the RSPCA would not approve! When I say chasing rabbits, I am actually mean: getting side-tracked, going off topic, verbal rambling, e.t.c. You know, that thing that old people and teachers do when they speak. I am a teacher after all and should we say...not very young. Stop chasing rabbits Hibbert!

So why do I think that a Science blog is a good idea? Simple really: we get to share all the really cool stuff happening in Science. There is a lot of cool stuff happening in Science...hot stuff too. This seems to be a really sensible and fun way of making sure that geeks like me (and you) don't miss out on anything. It also allows us to write and share about stuff we find interesting. Rabbit chasing time again...Why does my spell checker not like the word geek? Surely 'GEEK' has been added to the Oxford English dictionary. If not, I think we need to protest! 'GEEK' is an important word and deserves its place in our language Or does it? The 'its' I used 12 words ago looks wrong doesn't it? It isn't you know! That 'its' is a personal pronoun as opposed to the 'it's' with apostrophe showing possession. Mrs Garbutt would be so proud. At least I paid attention in one English lesson.

So, rabbit-chasing aside, this blog is a really great way for us to share stuff. I am not really sure how it works but I plan to ramble about stuff from time to time. I hope you do too. Wouldn't it b great if students started writing stuff on here about Science? I wonder who will be first? 

3 comments:

  1. You will be relieved to know that 'geek' is very much recognised in the official dictionary

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe I got that apostrophe wrong! Trust an English teacher to pick it up. Mrs Garbutt will be spinning in her grave - only she is not dead yet. Oh, I really hope she doesn't find this blog...I grew up in the good-old-days of corporal punishment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. discussing science is a cool thing and should be done more often, especially science about biology and chemistry as they are so very interesting!

    ReplyDelete